Do you have a book idea but dread the proposal-writing process?
Do you need an experienced editor to offer concrete feedback on your non-fiction manuscript?
Are you looking for a freelance writer to produce marketing or editorial copy?
• Help you craft a professional non-fiction book proposal.
• Offer big-picture feedback on your non-fiction manuscript. I’ll do a thorough read-through and then offer a 2-3 page evaluation with concrete, practical suggestions.
• Provide a detailed, two-phase developmental edit and line edit of your non-fiction manuscript.
• Write marketing or development (fundraising) copy for your print or online publications.
My Experience and Background
I have more than 20 years of writing and editing experience, including:
• Book publishing
• Magazine and newsletter articles
• Web content
• Marketing and advertising copy
• Editor at two New York City-based print magazines
• Marketing Director for a community college
• Communications specialist for a Fortune 500 financial services firm
• Fundraising and development writer for Nebraska’s NPR and PBS stations.
Currently I work as an author and freelance editor:
• Author of three non-fiction books:
• Spiritual Misfit: A Memoir of Uneasy Faith (Convergent, 2014)
• 50 Women Every Christian Should Know: Learning from Heroines of the Faith (Baker Books, 2015).
• Martin and Katharina Luther: The Radical Marriage of a Runaway Nun and a Renegade Monk (releasing January 2017, Baker Books).
• Monthly spirituality and religion columnist for the Lincoln Journal Star.
• Freelance writer for the Salvation Army Western Division.
• Contributor to online publications, including Her.Meneutics, Relevant, For Her, Grace Table
• Freelance book editor, guiding authors from the book proposal phrase through developmental and line edits of their manuscripts.
I have a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in English (University of Massachusetts, University of Connecticut).
“Michelle’s a terrific developmental editor. She has a keen eye for flow and anticipating a reader’s response. She’s diligent and always respectful when she queries authors. You’ll probably have to get in line to work with her, but if she’s available, hire her fast!”
– Chad Allen, Editorial Director, Baker Books
“I have had the privilege of working with many excellent writers during my 30-year development career. Michelle is by far the best. Not only does she write well, Michelle is also the consummate professional. She does her homework, uses solid judgement, holds herself to the highest standards, and is always committed to absolute excellence. Whether writing feature stories for magazines, or copy for marketing materials, she always gets the job done.”
– Jeff Beckman, Executive Director of Development, The Salvation Army, Western Division
If you think I might be a good fit for your writing or editing needs, please complete the form below and include details in the Message section about your particular project. I’ll respond promptly with availability and pricing details. Thank you!